Get ready for BBQ season with these hints & tips
It’s peak BBQ season around the country and for many of us there’s no greater pleasure than entertaining friends and family with a great meal cooked on the BBQ. To help prepare you and your BBQ for peak season we’ve put together a few hints and tips on caring and preparing for your beloved BBQ. New BBQ? If your BBQ is brand new it’s a good idea to give it a once over before its first use to make sure it’s clean and ready to cook to perfection.
- Remove and clean the cooking surfaces with warm soapy water and a cloth or non-abrasive sponge. Using a BBQ brush or scourer be sure to clean in between the grills. Where possible use a non-alkaline soap.
- Wash and wipe any excess dirty or soapy water away with clean water to remove any detergents that may be left on the cooking surfaces.
- When dry, apply a thin layer of cooking oil to the cast iron or steel cooking surfaces. This will help season the BBQ cooking surface and if not being used for a while the oil will slow the formation of rust. Warm the BBQ up for a few minutes to help the oil season the cast iron or steel cooking surface. For vitreous enamel or stainless steel hot plates a coating of cooking oil is not needed.
- Your BBQ is now ready to cook the perfect meal!
Just cooked a delicious meal?
A little maintenance after each use will keep your BBQ in perfect cooking condition.
- Running the burners on high for approximately 5 minutes will help burn off grease and fat from the cooking surfaces. If your BBQ has a hood, it’s best to leave it open when doing this.
- After you’ve finished cooking let the BBQ cool and then remove any food residue with a BBQ scraper.
- Using a wet cloth or BBQ brush, wipe down the cooking surfaces with water. Be sure to wipe any areas where oil or fat may have splashed.
- When turning the gas off also turn off the gas bottle as this will help clear any gas left in the hoses.
- When clean, apply a thin layer of cooking oil to the cooking surfaces. This will help prevent rust, keep your BBQ cooking plates seasoned and will ensure your BBQ is ready to cook the next time you use it.
- Check your BBQ’s instruction manual for caring and maintenance of any stainless steel fascia or timber sections of your BBQ.
Stainless Steel BBQs
Stainless Steel BBQs look great however they can require some extra maintenance to keep them in great condition. It’s best to refer to your BBQ’s instruction manual as stainless steel BBQs vary in grade and finish and may require different cleaning methods or tools.
Great Care Advice
- Where possible always use a BBQ fat absorber material in the drip tray to help control odour, absorb fats and oils and minimise flare ups. Be sure to change this regularly to avoid a build up of grease and food residue.
- When cleaning the BBQ plate or grills avoid using caustic or harsh chemical cleaners that may damage the metal or timber surfaces. If in doubt, read the care instructions on the product.
- Check burners occasionally and if clogged they can be cleaned with a wire brush and fresh water.
- For those that live near the ocean, you may need to clean your BBQ more frequently. Invisible salt deposits over time may cause tarnishing no matter the grade of stainless steel.
- When not in use, store your BBQ away under cover or under a barbecue cover for added protection Important LPG Safety Tips • Gas cylinders should be stored in a well ventilated area.
- Gas cylinders should always be kept upright. • Gas cylinders should be inspected every ten years from the last date stamped in the neck of the cylinder.
- Regularly inspect fittings and hoses for signs of wear or damage. • Make sure all connections are properly tightened.
Phone: 03 90880386
Address : Bendigo, VIC 3550
Camping, caravanning, 4x4 and hiking equipment for the great Australian outdoors.
Camping Australia proudly stocks the camping essentials from tents, sleeping bags, camp cooking, hiking and climbing clothing and equipment, fishing gear, caravanning, 4WD gear and much much more all to help you enjoy this great country. Shop for thousands of products delivered all around Australia.