Smoked Turkey and Sausage Gumbo Recipe
1 (4.5-5.5 kg) smoked turkey
8 cups water
1½ cups vegetable or canola oil
1½ cups all purpose flour
2 cups coarsely chopped yellow onions
1 cup chopped green capsicums 1 cup coarsely chopped celery
2 celery stalks
2 Tbsp or 3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1½ lbs sliced andouille or smoked sausage
2 Tbsp chopped green onions or scallion onions (green part only)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves
Poultry rub Salt and pepper to taste
Hot cooked white rice (for serving)
- Brine the turkey for 12-24 hours in your favourite store bought or homemade brine. Personally, I have found Spice Hunter Turkey brine to be very good. After brining, rinse, pat dry and rub the turkey down with you favourite poultry rub.
- Place the turkey in a 120°C smoker with a combination of hickory and apple wood chips. Smoke the turkey until the internal temperature reaches 75-80°C. After the turkey has cooled, de-bone and save the carcass.
- Place the turkey carcass in a large pot with 8 cups of water, 2 coarsely chopped celery stalks, 1 coarsely chopped medium onion, 4 minced garlic cloves. Boil for 1 hour, strain and save broth.
- In a large heavy pot or Dutch oven, over medium heat, combine the oil and flour. Stirring slowly and constantly for 20-25 minutes until a dark roux is formed. Add the chopped onions,capsicums, chopped celery and chopped garlic. Stir for 8-10 minutes until the vegetables are soft. Add the thyme and cayenne while continuing to stir. Add the reserved smoked turkey broth and stir until the roux mixture and broth are combined. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally for 1½ hours. More water may be added if the sauce gets too thick.
- Coarsely chop the smoked turkey meat. Add the turkey and the sausage to the gumbo. Cook for 15-30 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes before skimming off the fat that has risen to the surface.
- Serve the gumbo in individual soup or gumbo bowls over hot white rice and garnish with green onions and parsley.
Checkout our range of camp cooking equipment for Australia.
Phone: 03 90880386
Address : Rosanna, Melbourne VIC 3000
Quality camping & hiking equipment for the outdoors. We stock the essentials from tents, hiking and climbing clothing and equipment, fishing gear, and much more to help you enjoy this great country. Shop for thousands of products delivered all around Australia.