Matts Smoked Prime Rib Recipe
1 prime rib roast (1.8 – 2.7 kg) ¼ Tbsp onion powder
⅛ Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp white pepper
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp red pepper
1 Tbsp salt
- Place prime rib in a large pan. In a small bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix well. Season roast with the mixture and let stand for 30 – 45 minutes.
- Load the wood tray with one small handful of wood chips and preheat the smoker to 120°C.
- Place roast, fat side up, directly on rack in smoker. Reduce temperature to 110°C and add more wood chips. Add extra wood chips every 1 – 1½ hours during cooking time.
- Using meat thermometer to check temperature, cook until desired temperature is reached. (See temperatures below. Remember, meat will continue to cook for a few minutes when taken out of the smoker and covered with aluminium foil.)
- Once you have removed the prime rib, cover it with foil and let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes before cutting. This will help keep prime rib warm and juicy.Doneness ChartDoneness Chart:
– 50°C Rare
– 55°C Medium-Rare
– 60°C Medium
– 70°C Medium-Well
– 75°F Well Done (John doesn’t recommend Well Done for a prime rib.)
For medium rare to medium, the cooking time is approximately 4 – 6 hours.
Checkout our extensive range of BBQs and Smokers.
Phone: 03 90880386
Address : Rosanna, Melbourne VIC 3000
Quality camping & hiking equipment for the outdoors. We stock the essentials from tents, hiking and climbing clothing and equipment, fishing gear, and much more to help you enjoy this great country. Shop for thousands of products delivered all around Australia.